Saturday, May 12, 2007

my spiritual gifts

last friday, hubby and i went to the Rivers Center to take our spiritual gifts test. we should've taken the test 1 month before but we were not able to make it since we had prior engagements. (austin's bday... sorry Lord).

then ealier today, saturday, we attented our 2nd post MSS module. as always we arrived late. the speaker was already discussing the different gifts that one can receive from the Holy Spirit. a few minutes later they started distributing a piece of paper with our names on it. it contained the spiritual gifts that they discerned each of us had. i was excited when my name was called, excited yet apprehensive. i was afraid to open the piece of paper to find out that i had no gift! honestly, i think that would've depressed me. but God is good and He gave me 6 gifts. 3 dominant, 3 subordinate.

here they are:

dominant gifts:
service
mercy
teaching (!)

subordinate gifts:
wisdom
knowledge
helps

how did i feel after reading this? my initial reaction was relief. i was gifted after all. after leading such a mediocre life, God loved me enough to give me such gifts. i was also surprised to have the gift of teaching. me?!? teaching!?! i have always been afraid of public speaking, i have no people skills at all, i always hated recitation and reporting in front of the class back in school... so why teaching?! well only God knows i guess. the gifts of knowledge and wisdom didn't surprise me as much. i have always loved to read, especially religious and inspirational books. but teaching?!? i felt extra apprehensive when our speaker kept on telling me that i was definitely being called to teach since my spiritual gifts were complimentary (teaching, wisdom, knowledge). she said that i should practice and hone these gifts. (pressure... pressure...)

finally, after the initial shock, acceptance settled in my heart... and gratitude.

God knew my weakness, and he chose that area so that He can challenge me to serve Him better. so what if i have no experience, so what if my very few forays in speaking in front of people turned out to be disastrous. God provides. God will never leave me alone. God empowers.
And so i hold on to His words:

When i came to you my friends, to teach God's secret truth, I did not use big words and great learning. For while i was with you, i made up my mind to forget everything except Jesus Christ and especially His death on the cross. So when i came to you, i was weak and trembled all over with fear, and my teaching and message were not delivered with skillful words of human wisdom, but with convincing proof of the power of God's Spirit.
- 1 Cor 2:1-4


Thank you Dear Lord for my gifts. Grant that I may use them for Your greater Glory!
Related Posts with Thumbnails