Saturday, October 27, 2007

hospital blues part 2

sunday night, when we got to our room, another little girl was occupying the next bed, same case as bea's too, vomiting / LBM. they looked like pretty nice folks. we were led to the treatment room where the IV was inserted to little one's veins. they tried twice on her right hand but her veins kept on "collapsing". i don't really know what that means, but the docs said that it was due to dehydration. they tried again on her left hand and is turns out, the third time's the charm. as expected the little one howled in pain, all the while looking straight into my eyes as if asking why are you letting them hurt me like this?! i felt so guilty!

back in our room, we met our roomies, the Tuazon family. they were very kind and understanding. i kept apologizing for bea's howling (every diaper change, which was often) and they kept on telling us not to worry about it. their 2.5 year old daughter was also sick with the same symptoms as bea's...

on our first night, we were all adjusting to our surroundings. "namamahay" as we say it in Filipino. bea's slept soundly, disturbed only by an LBM episode and the diaper change that followed. they following day, bea's disposition remained dreary. she still won't smile, cried her lungs out whenever a nurse with bright patterns on her uniform entered the room, won't play with us, opted to rest or sleep.... after lunch, signs of her old happy self started showing... a little smile here and there... her appetite picked up... still cried a lot though during diaper change. 7 LBM episodes the whole day... trying to get urine sample was a CHALLENGE! she was given antibiotics through her IV.

tuesday, 6 LBM episodes. smiling and bubbly. back to her usual self. her IV back flowed a couple of times during the day (she was sooo active crawling/walking all over her bed, she pulled at her IV a couple of times), the nurse had to come and flush it to clear the tubes. more howling from the little one. her tushy was still sore, but some of her wounds started to dry up... our roomie was discharged already, leaving the room to ourselves. took in milk, lots of biscuits, some apple...

wednesday, LBM episode once while at the hospital... laughing out loud, singing, trying to jump off the bed railing... and yes a couple more IV back flows... we were discharged at 5pm.

at around 4pm we started tidying up our things, getting ready to go home. i went to the billing section to settle our bill, then to our pedia's clinic to settle her PF, by the time i got back to our room, little one was free of her IV line, dressed up and ready to go.

it was so nice to see her walking/running on the hallway... only to come running back whenever she'd encounter a nurse.

on our first night they took stool sample and had it cultured. after 3 days, the diagnosis: some kind of bacteria, active growth. the pedia said she ingested something dirty. she probably got it from putting stuff in her mouth and/or while taking a bath she might have drank some unclean water... grrr!

thursday, back to work for hubby, i stayed home to monitor bea's progress. same kulit... although 7 LBM episodes!!! i called up the pedia she said i should give the anti bacterial she prescribed some time to work in her body, meanwhile i should just try to hydrate bea with water-hydrite solution. hmmmm... sounds familiar. oh well... what can i do...?

friday,back to work for me. called home often.... 5 LBM episodes... according to her Lolo, she liked to drink water more than to eat... i am worried. can this be a sign that she is again dehydrated?

i really hope and pray that bea's on her way to complete recovery...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails