one day, i will get a chance to teach my daughter good manners and right conduct... i will emphasize to her the importance of respect, both giving it and earning it. sometimes we wonder "what has this world come down to?" violence, drugs, teenage pregnancies, broken families...
i think respect, or the lack thereof, has a lot to do with it.
respect for one's self and for others is really important. and i believe this life lesson should begin at home...
so how do we show respect? here are some simple ways that will surely go a long way:
- look at a person's face when talking and listening to them.
- show up at events on time.
- say "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me" as needed.
- speak kindly.
- let them go first.
- apologize when you offend others. don't crowd people's space.
- wait patiently.
- keep your promises.
- take people's requests seriously.
- leave things better than how you found them.
- be mindful of other's property and privacy.
(from Lists to Live By)